Friday, April 13, 2007

The Dentist

Unlike in the UK, in Spain dentistry is not covered by the healthcare system. Not that in UK it makes any difference, I found it virtually impossible to get a dentist and ended up travelling for over an hour everytime I needed anything done.

My teeth are crappy, to put it lightly, at the tender age of 24 I have had two root canals resulting in the loss of one tooth and a gold crown on the other. On both occasions I cried for days, especially after being gypsyfied. Normally people don't notice (I hope). Loco only noticed the offending article 3 days ago. Suegra was also shocked by this news, in Spain they don't use gold crowns anymore :( If only I'd known that when I'd had it done. When asked what I would like for my birthday, I often reply "Tooth implant" but as yet have had no luck..

For a few weeks I have noted the all too familiar sensation that goes along with the need for a filling but have ignored it on the basis that it was probably all in my head due to reading so many tooth stories on other people's blogs, however the sensations persisted and I decided that it was probably time to bite the bullet and head to the dentist.

I took the last day of my holiday to go to the dentist, Suegra took me, I think she has adopted me as her own. Luckily it looks like no root canals, but 6 fillings need redoing to the tune of 300 Euros.

Ouch.

I now have 6 visits to the dentist to look forward to :( I hate the dentist. Just waiting for the examination gave me butterflies in my legs. Let's hope they don't find any nasty surprises as I don't think I could face root canal ever again..

In happier news check this out

3 comments:

Drama Queen said...

SIX fillings need redone!? How many you got girly. . .!

And what a cool review!

Shameless said...

I have six...

like i said.. crappy teeth :(

Soup Waiter said...

I stopped going to the dentist when I was fourteen. I'd just had two back teeth removed in extreme agony and they wanted to take out two more, I just never went back. I had two fillings then and they both fell out eventually.

When I was 31 my last baby tooth came out. I didn't know it was a baby tooth, I thought I was in trouble, so I went to the dentist fully expecting her to want to take two teeth out, replace two fillings and add a few more.

She said I have great teeth, offered me a bridge for the gap I now have, I said no thanks and I've never seen a dentist again.