Monday, January 22, 2007

Moving..

For the last few weeks Loco and I have been discussing moving in together.

I know it is a big decision to make so quickly into a relationship but it just feels right. Previous bfs that have even tried to broach this subject, have left me with a sense of panic so great that I would apply for jobs in Japan rather than ever have to become part of a domesticated couple. Bleugh!

"Well, I've applied for a job in Japan with immediate start so better to break it off here rather than face the horrors of a long distance relationship dontcha think!"

This once backfired when bf at the time decided that he too would apply for a job in Japan.

Anyway, now I want to do it, so this poses some questions:

Should we rent a flat in Barcelona or instead move directly to the apartment Loco already owns?

Moving straight to said apartment seems like the most sensible idea as rent-money can be used to pay off mortgage and renovate apartment.

So the apartment needs renovating?

Yes, new kitchen, bathroom, floors, doors, walls the lot.

Hmm. Seems like a lot of work.

Yes it does, add to this I have yet to even see apartment and I start to feel a bit scared. Loco estimates that the work would take about a year to complete (I'm in Spain remember).

So where would you live in the meantime?

Well obviously paying rent and a mortgage at the same time is out of the question, so Loco's suggestion is that we live with his parents. Gulp. Don't get me wrong - His parents are awesome. The best suegros ever. But living with them for a year?? Things might get difficult. My idea is to live in while the renovations are completed. Staying with his parents as and when needed (when bathroom is fitted etc). Loco doesn't like my idea.

Hmm. Not an ideal arrangement. Any other downsides?

Er, yes, the fact the apartment (and his parents house) aren't in Barcelona itself. They're in the pueblo, about a 15 minute drive on a good day, 1 and a half hours at 08:30 going to work time.

And here's the nutcracker. Loco bought the apartment from his ex-gf's parents and I'm not sure if I like the idea of us living together is his ex gf's house. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I just find it a little peculiar.

So - what ya gonna do?

Probably move to the apartment. Loco managed to buy just before house prices boomed so mortgage is incredibly low (for here), which means that we'll more than likely be able to afford a second property in the not so distant future. Maybe a nice little apartment by the beach :)

Hopefully I can sway him on the living in while renovations are being done option.

Anyway first things first, the current tenant has to find a new place to live and then we'll talk.

3 comments:

Drama Queen said...

Moving in with my BF (recently) was great. This way I get to see him for a bit each night, instead of the effort of making dates and plans. . .but I had to move country to do it.

I dunno how long you have been together (still trawling through your archives) but it doesn't matter really. This way you get to know someone quickly rather than wasting months only to find out they are completely wrong for you.

BF and I had the same 2 weeks holidays so we kinda of had a trial run then and set out the rules and who would do what (me: cooking, washing, cleaning. Him: stress about our finances. Even I reckon).

Anyway, all totally unsolicited advice. Best of luck.

Shameless said...

Thanks! It feels like we've been living together anyway as he spends every night at mine but it will be nice to to have to share space with housemates. I think moving to the pueblo will almost be like moving to another country, it's a local place for local people. Eek.

Good luck trawling, I am doing my best to publish the in betweeners I was too lazy to finish writing at the time!! It can get all too confusing.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm tricky one. I don't know what to advise about where you should live, but I would say there is nothing better than living with your boyf. Yes there are the arguments about him not doing enough housework, but the permanent hot water bottle that is a man, in your bed at night, is worth every crumb on the worktop and every pile of crap by the bed.

And incidentally, DQ's line about seeing him every night, rather than making plans, is my line. I told her that before she moved in with her BF. Little plagiarist Queen!