Thursday, January 11, 2007

Fashions

The infamously low Spanish wages mean that living here I cannot treat myself to as many nice new clothes, shoes and bags as I feel I deserve. However, I decided to allow myself some new things as I have practically worn out my current selection of clothes and am in desperate need of some new togs.

Sod's law means that the one time I wish to purchase something, I cannot find anything! So instead of a nice new coat, some jumpers, a pair of boots and perhaps some jeans I come away with absolutely buggar all.

This makes me mad.

Is it perhaps because there is a shortage of clothing in Barcelona? No, there is no such shortage. Why then is it that a girl who wants to shop and has her credit card at the ready purchases nothing, nada, zip??

Well the reason is simply that I just hated and despised everything I saw in the shops. This season's clothes actually offend my eyes. I can only sum up as sparkly, shiny legging shorts. Aggh! bleugh! Take them away!

Leggings?? One word - WHY?
Shorts?? IT'S WINTER!
Shiny pink puffa jackets? - words fail me

As I walk around the shops, loco in tow, muttering away to myself "no. no. no. no. repulsive. no. mmmaybe but no... fashion these days.. grr ." a little thought passes through my head.. i push it away.. and it comes back..

I seem to vaguely remember my grandmother saying the exact same thing not so long ago. Waaaa! Another sign of my getting old! I don't even like fashion anymore. Even Loco remarked that all of the things I looked at were for old ladies :(

However, I did see one coat I liked, one coat I fell in love with, but with a price tag of 378 Euros it may just have to stay in my dreams..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello SH, I see you have been to visit me, so thought I'd repay the favour!

It is the law of shopping that when you have money to burn and an ACTUAL need for clothing (rather than the "I could do with yet another pair of silver heels" need for clothing) there will be nothing worth buying.

My first reaction is to congratulate you on not buying for the sake of it (I would have come home with the shiny pink puffa, just to come home with SOMETHING!).

Secondly - go again the following week. It is only through desperation that you can't find anything. Go again with the expectation that you won't get anything, and you'll come home with carrier bag upon carrier bag!

Good luck and happy spending!