Sunday, September 02, 2007

Butterflies

I always wondered how I would I feel when I saw Ireland again.

Well now I know. After a few days of fretting I decided that I would go for lunch with Ireland, nice and innocent, middle of the day, limited time visit. Perfect.

When I received a random one word message from him at 09:45 in the morning I suspected my plans had gone awry. I bet he’s just going to bed after having been up all night drinking I thought, no matter, he’ll just be a little hung over. I decided not to leave the office until I was sure he would be waiting for me if he was there at all. This turned out to be an excellent plan as when I rang a sleepy, still in bed voice answered..

“Hello?”
“Hello. Where are you?”
“In bed. What time is it?”
“13:30”
“shit shit shit. Didn’t you get my text?
“The random one word text at ten o’clock this morning?”
“Yeh.. it was meant to say.. can we meet after work instead?”
“I can’t today. I’ll get back to you later about tomorrow”

I called him back later that evening and arranged to meet the following day after work along with a mutual friend

Walking to meet him there were thousands of butterflies in my tummy, it had been a good 18 months since I had last seen him and I really didn’t know what to expect from myself when I saw him. I arrived a couple of minutes early and he managed to be on time (amazingly). We hugged a biiiig hug and then we headed down to an Irish bar for a drink (where else). Who else should I come across in the bar but Kaiser chief guy, so typical.

My friend turned up a little late and we all gossiped about old times, it was nice. No desire to kiss him, sleep with him or move to Ireland. Three good signs.

When it was time to leave, we hugged twice, and I felt a little teary eyed, but then I cry at wedding videos of people I don’t even know, so don’t take that to mean anything.

And so I am pleased to announce I am over my Ireland phase. I hope that we keep in touch but I no longer harbor secret desires to have little Irish babies. Result.

No comments: