Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Meeting the parents

So .. I've met the parents! and the brother and sister in law! And they're all so nice! It was Loco's father's birthday and we went out for lunch. I sat next Loco's brother and opposite Loco, which suited me fine.

His sister-in-law seems a little peculiar but she is very Catalan so I'll let it slide for now.

Now, in Spain, meeting the parents is a very big deal. HUGE. Meeting the parents means that you are in a very serious relationship with probable intentions to marry. In our case, Loco had to give some explanation as to why he slept in Barcelona every night at a "friend's place" and after much prompting from his mother about whether his friend happened to be a girl, that perhaps was a "special friend" Loco finally admitted it and his father was not surprised exclaiming "Tiran más dos tetas que dos carretas" roughly translated as a pair of breasts pull more than a pair of carts. And so a short time later I was invited for lunch.

Normally you get introduced to the parents after 6 months to a year. I know people who have been dating over a year and still haven't met the parents, nor do the parents even know of the significant others existence. (This was the case with my ex in Madrid).

I think Loco's mother was pleasantly surprised as from what I gather she was expecting the stereotypical British person as found on the likes of Ibiza Uncovered and Benidorm Hen Nights. She seems satisfied that I am not some sort of Shameless Hussy (if only she knew, bwa ha ha ha).

So now they know. And now I only have to meet the rest of the 256 family members who will soon know about me as apparently Loco's mother is not one to keep her mouth closed. Joy.

No comments: